The concept of gender dysphoria is a subject of intense controversy and debate.
Objectives: The aim of this study is to assess demographic and clinical characteristics, comorbid disorders and sexual behavior of 84 gender dysphoric (gender identity disorder) persons, diagnosed according to DSM-5 and divided into 54 female-to-male (FTM) and 30 male-tofemale (MTF).
Participants: Age of the patients ranged from 18 to 54 years, mean age 32.2 ± 3.3 years; for the 54 FTM: 18 to 53 years, mean age 33.7 ± 3.9 years and for the 30 MTF: 20 to 54 years, mean age 34.0 ± 2.0 years.
Methods: Semi-structured clinical interview and gender identity profile (Israel, 1997).
Results: 35.62% are MTF and 64.38% FTM. MTF are generally less sexually active than FTM, however MTF has a high % of subjects (58.0%) with early initiation of sexual activity (X = 12–14 years –even very early sex life by 9 years). There is also information of promiscuous sexual activity (14.0%) with multiple sexual partners (1–14 and 4/5 coitus per night). In MTF group, we found 20.0% of depression and 15.0% of anxiety disorders. Family difficulties and work problems were also more elevated in the MTF subgroup. Initial manifestations of this condition started early in 60.0% (mean age: 7.0 years) and in the remaining 40.0%, in late adolescence or beginning of adulthood (mean age: 18.0 years).
Discussion and conclusions: The purpose of this work was to evaluate, using a biopsychosocial approach, a group of gender dysphoric persons in distinct stages of the therapeutic process. Our data indicate that the FTM subgroup has a better overall psychosocial and sexual adjustment and social inclusion than MTF in all stages of the process, in spite of real surgical limitations that FTM persons still face. An extension of this series is desirable to obtain rates of prevalence and frequency with national representativeness and to better characterize this population.
World Health Organization’s Diagnostic Manual, the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), is being revised, with ICD-11 currently due for approval in 2017. A WHO-appointed working group, of which the presenter is a member, has proposed a range of diagnostic reforms in the area of sexual disorders and sexual health. They are now being field-tested.
Introduction and objectives: Homosexuality has been considered a mental health disorder and this pathological view was challenged four decades ago culminating in diagnostic systems (the ICD and DSM) regarding it as an alternative lifestyle rather than a pathological state. Homosexual individuals are prone to psychological distress, which may manifest as depression and suicidal ideation. This has been attributed to the lingering discrimination homosexual individuals are exposed to. There is a dearth of information in Nigeria with regards to this topic and this work is an attempt to fill this gap. The objectives of this study were to determine and compare the prevalence of depression and suicidal ideation in homosexual students and heterosexual controls in a Nigerian university.
Objective: Through this research on the sexual life of wrinkly and elderly women in China, we hope to understand the status of sexual health of the aged Chinese women.
Mandatory sexual education in Mexican elementary schools still faces parents’ opposition under the arguments that their children are not old enough to be exposed to the subject. Through their own children’s drawings, this research proved to parents that their children had already been exposed to great extent of sexual information that needs scientific and correct guidance. The main objective of this exploratory study was to assess, through children’s drawings, their views about pregnancy at an early age and use the results to promote, among the parents, the acceptance of sexual education programs at the schools.
An audit of Western Australian universities found pre-service teachers have limited opportunity to study health-related courses (termed units in Australia), and when they are offered there is often little focus on Sexuality and Relationships Education (SRE). Curtin University has recently established an undergraduate course for Bachelor of Education students, which focuses solely on the delivery of evidence-based SRE.
The sexual response in women is complex. The association of infertility and sexual dysfunction is overlapping. Sexuality is an important and integral part of every woman’s life. The aim of this study was to assess the degree of sexual dysfunction among infertile women and its correlation with age, duration of marriage and aetiology of infertility in women.
This presentation, "Responding to the needs of consumers with complex trauma histories a consumer perspective" focuses on the needs of adult survivors of child abuse, highlighting the frequent